Wendco NZ Ltd (Wendy’s, us, we, our) recognises the importance of protecting and securing personal information.
We may update our Privacy Notice from time to time. Amendments will be published on our web page www.wendys.co.nz.
2. Personal information we collect
We collect personal information in a number of ways to carry out our business activities. The type of information we collect may include your name, address, email, phone number, your shopping and marketing preferences, your purchases, payment methods, delivery information and any other information that you provide to us during our interactions. If you have an online account we will keep your login details and password. If you apply for a job or are employed with us, we will hold personal information about you relevant to your employment.
2.1 Active information collection
In most instances, we collect personal information directly from you such as:
- When you interact with us via , email, mail, social media, our website, our app, complete any survey/application forms, enter any of our competitions or special promotions/activities, join our Fan Club, when you deal with team members in our stores, or when you are employed by us.
- When you email, message or mail us we may keep any details you provide.
- When you engage with us on social media (such as via Facebook or Instagram).
- When visiting our website or app we may collect the following information: the IP address, domain name, the date, time and duration of visits, the pages and documents accessed, the previous site accessed (i.e. the referring URL), the type of browser being used. See also Cookie, identifiers and remarketing section on other information we may collect.
- When you make a purchase using our app or any other delivery method, we may collect location information (if you permit the application to access location services through the permission system in your mobile device). We may also collect transaction details including the products you have ordered, the date, time, the amount charged and payment method.
- When you are present in our stores or surrounding areas we may collect images and video surveillance of you.
- If there is an incident/accident while visiting our stores, we may ask you to complete a Health and Safety form.
- When you apply for a job at Wendy’s or you are already an employee. This information may include passport details, fingerprints, training modules completed, payroll forms or any other information related to your job.
2.2 Passive information collection
We may collect passive information in the following ways:
- Aggregated data which tracks traffic to our website but does not relate to you personally.
- We may use and combine such passively collected anonymous information to provide better service to visitors, compile and analyse statistics and trends, and otherwise administer and improve our platforms for your use.
- When you download our mobile app, or use other platforms we may collect information about your mobile device, including make, brand, operating system, screen resolution, date and time, video graphics, IP address, email address etc.
2.3 Information collection from Third Parties
We may also collect personal information from third parties such as from other retailers and the Police to prevent and detect crime and to keep our community safe.
Wendy’s is very sensitive to privacy issues. Wendy’s does not intend to collect personal information from any person under the age of 14 years. Please do not provide personal information if you are aged under 14 years. (I could find no law around age – 14 is what McDonalds picked)
We urge parents to regularly monitor and supervise their children’s online activities.
3. The purposes for collecting personal information
3.1 Use of information
We collect personal information for the primary purpose to market, promote, advertise, sell and deliver our products. In addition we collect personal information to:
- Manage your orders and facilitate payment.
- Provide, maintain and improve our products.
- Improve and personalise your experience with us.
- Administer our Fan Club.
- Registration in any games on our website.
- Communicate with you and answer any questions or provide information or advice.
- Contact you with direct marketing material via any medium with your consent.
- Remarket our products to you based on your past activities with us. This includes displaying customised promotional material or advertising through digital marketing channels including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, etc.
- Compile and analyse statistics and trends.
- Run competitions and promotions (either on our own or with third parties) and you may be asked to provide personal information to be eligible to participate. We (and any other third party) will use this information to administer the competition, notify winners and for any other purpose set out in the relevant terms and conditions.
- For marketing and retargeting purposes including to market, promote and advertise the products or events of our selected business partners or third parties. Manage your employment or process your application for employment with Wendy’s.
- Undertake our administrative and operational functions and for fraud, loss and theft prevention activities.
- Comply with laws or regulations or to comply with any directions given by regulators or authorities.
- Investigate a breach of any of our terms and conditions or any suspected unlawful activity.
We will also use your personal information for any purpose permitted by the Privacy Act or required by any other law.
If we are unable to collect personal information, you may not be able to place orders, participate in promotions, access elements of our applications or make contributions.
Where we have received an indication to a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method wherever practical to do so. By consenting to receive email marketing communications from Wendy’s, customers may also receive access to a range of exclusive offers and rewards not available to the general public. Click on the link to join Wendy’s Fan Club: https://www.wendys.co.nz/contact/join-fan-club
3.2 How we share your personal information
- Our employees, contractors or service providers, to the extent reasonably necessary for them to carry out their duties/obligations. This may include internet service providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, research agencies, adtech and martech service providers, lawyers and business advisors.
- Suppliers of products and services for delivery.
- The Justice Department if a criminal check is required as part of your application for employment.
- Any person where we are required or permitted by law to disclose information to. This may include the police service, ambulance service, or government departments or regulators within New Zealand in connection with law enforcement activities and emergency services.
We require any third party to protect personal information against any unauthorised use, access or disclosure in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Cookie information and browsing history is also shared with third parties – see section below on Cookies, identifiers and remarketing.
Wendy’s does not sell personal information to third parties.
We do not provide personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing unless expressly authorised by you.
In the event that Wendco NZ Ltd or any of its assets are acquired by a third party, personal information acquired by us may be one of the assets transferred.
4. How we hold and protect your personal information
4.1 How we hold personal information
Wendy’s holds your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form. When we receive information electronically we retain this information in our computer systems and databases. This includes computer software programs, internet servers, and hosted internet solutions. Information received in hard copy (commonly paper) is normally retained in our files and a copy may be made to our electronic files.
The information that is submitted to us is handled securely at our premises in accordance with applicable privacy laws. We may use third-party service providers to store your personal information and provide us with services. This means that we may transfer personal information, or access it from, countries other than New Zealand.
We recognise that we are accountable for your personal information wherever it is in the world and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that any third-party service providers we use can meet our privacy and security expectations.
We retain your information for as long as we need to carry out the purposes of collection, or longer if we are required to by law.
We use industry standard security measures to safeguard and protect all personal information. This includes taking reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or unauthorised disclosure.
Wherever your personal information is stored, we take reasonable steps to ensure that it is protected against loss or unauthorised access, modification, use or disclosure. For example:
- Wendy’s systems are protected by firewalls and modern encryption standards.
- Wendy’s systems are password protected, and access is monitored and audited.
- All employees are required to adhere to the Wendy’s IT and Security related suite of policies.
- Access to the personal information we store is limited to those staff members who have a legitimate business requirement to use it.
- We make privacy and information security training available to employees.
- We have a data breach management procedure in place.
- Information is backed up regularly, and backups are encrypted ad held in secure storage facilities.
- When you use your credit card on our app, the credit card information is transmitted using Secure Socket Layer protocol, which encrypts your information. We only keep some of your credit card details. However your full credit card details will be encrypted and security stored by our online payment providers.
5. Cookies, identifiers and remarketing
5.1 Cookies and identifiers
- To keep track of products or services viewed, so that we can send directly or through third party service providers, information and advertising about those products or services, or other similar related products or services we think may be of interest.
- To measure traffic patterns, to determine which areas of our website have been visited, and to measure transaction patterns, produce data of web traffic and customer web activity through our website or apps.
- To research and analyse habits so that we can improve our products and online content and customise this to individuals.
- To operate our website efficiently with a high level of functionality.
- To measure the effectiveness of our marketing initiatives, measure the number of advertising referrals we have received to our website from other websites.
5.3 Opting out from cookies, analytics and remarketing
You may modify your browser settings to accept or decline cookies. You may also go to www.allaboutcookies.org or to www.aboutads.info/choices for instructions on how to disable cookies. If you choose to configure your computer so that it disables cookies or does not accept them, you may not be able to make full use of our website.
Here are the links to opt-out of cookies (current as at the date of this Privacy Notice and may change from time to time):
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/policies/cookies/
Google Analytics - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/181881?hl=en
Flashtalking - https://www.flashtalking.com/optout
Quantcast - https://www.quantcast.com/opt-out/
5.4 Links to other websites and services
The Wendy’s website may contain links to other sites which are not administered or governed by Wendy’s. These are provided solely for the convenience of our visitors. We are not responsible for the content of these websites or how your personal information will be handled. We are not liable in respect of any use of these linked websites.
6. Accessing and correcting your personal information
Please contact us (as set out below) if you would like access to the personal information we may hold about you or if you would like us to update or correct it. We may require further information to assist the retrieval of information and or verify your identity and reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee for gaining access.
We will handle any request in accordance with the relevant privacy regulations. Generally, if requested we will amend any personal information which is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date. If we are not able or unwilling to provide access to any personal information or to correct any personal information held by us, we will provide reason for declining to provide.
Enquiries on how to access personal information can be emailed to:
- Customers: email@example.com
- Staff: contact Human Resources Department
7. Privacy Complaints
Any concerns that we may have breached our privacy obligations or to make a complaint please contact us. If you make a complaint, we will endeavour to respond and resolve any complaints promptly. For more information about privacy generally, or if your compliant is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at www.privacy.org.nz and on (04) 474 7590.